Monday, June 05, 2006

Could Go Either Way


So, here's the scene. I'm at my hotplate, making barbeque sauce, when my cell phone rings at my hip. When I answer, it's CT, wondering if I'd heard anything about the job. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hello?"

CT: "Chili, it's CT. ANYTHING?!"

Me: "CT, COME ON, now!! Do you THINK I would hear something and NOT call you?!?"

CT: "Are you KIDDING ME?! They STILL haven't called you?! Oh, for CRYING out loud! Hang on, I'll call you back."

It was at this point that she essentially hung up on me.

She DIDN'T call me back, rather she came up my driveway and hung out at my place for about an hour after CALLING THE PRINCIPAL of Local High School and asking, essentially, what the hold up was all about. She ended up pulling the guy out of a meeting (!) to ask him what she could say in my favor that would convince him that hiring me is a good idea. He didn't have a whole lot of time to talk with her, so they made a phone date for tomorrow morning. She DID find out, though, that there were two positions available and that one of them had been offered to and accepted by a man. The second position was up in the air between me and another applicant.

I'm not sure how I feel about CT going to bat for me like this. On the one hand, I really, really admire her gumption and, well, big brass ones. I'm also honored and humbled that she thinks so highly of me. On the other hand, though, this enthusiastic support could backfire on me - I know I sometimes have a hard time balancing between "charmingly enthusiastic" and "pain in the ass" and I'm not sure how this gesture is going to be viewed by the people making the decision.

If nothing more, this should spur a decision along. And as soon as it's made - and I'm made aware of it - I'll let you all know.

(note: the image above came from http://www.petrabrown.supanet.com. Much cuteness abounds there)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home