Wednesday, May 31, 2006

While We Wait...

... for word from Local High School about whether or not Mrs. Chili will be an EMPLOYED teacher next year, let's read some of her favorite poems, shall we? From the more serious to the more absurd:

You darkness, that I come from,
I love you more than all the fires
that fence in the world,
for the fire makes
a circle of light for everyone,
and then no one outside learns of you.

But the darkness pulls in everything:
shapes and fires, animals and myself,
how easily it gathers them!-
powers and people-

and it is possible a great energy
is moving near me.

I have faith in nights.

From the Selected Poems of Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Robert Bly


Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh, no! it is an ever-fixéd mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come'
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

William Shakespeare

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.



Underneath wet rocks
Secret gangs of fishermen
Are dressed for dinner


Each night my father fills me with dread
When he sits on the foot of my bed;
I'd not mind that he speaks
In gibbers and squeaks
But for seventeen years he's been dead
~Edward Gorey

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayfarer said...

I love Edward Gorey! He's got this special quality to his work (written and visual) that is pleasing to behold, witty and smart, yet undeniably sinister. I smile at his stuff every time I see it. Thank you for including it!

June 01, 2006 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home