Saturday, May 27, 2006

In Perfect Balance

I love Kizz.

She's known me for going on 20 years. She makes me laugh nearly every day. Even though I don't get to see her but once or twice a year, we "talk" almost daily via the wonder that is iChat, so I get to count her as one of my closest friends. I go to her with problems and frustrations, both personal and professional. She's one of the first people I think to email when something wonderful or funny happens to me. Even though she is, herself, childless, I go to her for parenting advice - she's careful and considered and can see the situations I bring to her with a scope of vision and reason that I can't always find in the throes of whatever is happening.

Though she'll probably protest that she can't find it in her own life, she consistently brings balance and clarity to mine. She is one of my greatest supporters and one of my toughest and fairest critics.

I tell you all this because I received a box from the mailman today, and within was contained a perfectly balanced graduation gift from Kizz. She sent me this:





with a note that says "Something for you the teacher" and this:







with a note that says "something for you the mother."




I have been struggling, since returning to grad school, with how to find the right combination of work and home and, in true Capital-G-Girlfriend form, Kizz has been right there with me, talking about the pros and cons of working mommyhood, encouraging me to become who I need to be outside of my role of Mommy because it's important for my daughters to see a woman who knows who she is and has the strength and drive to become the best and most complete woman she can be.

She loves me enough to support all of me, and my gratitude is profound.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

And what you don't even know is that there's a third part too.

LOVE

May 27, 2006 6:29 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

She is Tough, but Fair.

I think, by the way, that that is the name of one of Shakespeare's plays from the legendary (and some say fraudulent) "Basement Quartos"~,:^)

May 29, 2006 6:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

It's wonderful to have friends like that. You are very blessed to have someone in your life who you can really say these things about and truly mean them.

May 30, 2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I am so, SO blessed - I have a LOT of friends like Kizz; people I can depend on no matter what.

I measure my worth as a person by my friends. One of the things that is most important to me is being the kind of person who deserves friends like Kizz (and WeedWoman, and Wayfarer, and Bowyer, and .....).

I strive every day to be that kind of person.

May 31, 2006 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home