Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Little Engine (I think I can, I think I can...)

Well, Friends, I've done it again. I sent in my application for a full-time substitute position in a semi-local middle school. I am nothing if not persistent.

From what I can gather, this is the sort of job where I would show up every day and, if there's a teacher out, I would sub for that teacher. If there's not a teacher out, I would still be there, covering duties and running errands and the like.

I think that this is a brilliant way to arrange for substitute teachers; the work and income for the subs is steady, the kids get to know who the teachers are, thereby limiting the amount of nonesense and attitude that the subs typically receive, and there are no 6 a.m. phone calls. The school gets a sense of who their subs are and where their strengths lie, and have a ready pool of teachers to pull from should a position open up.

Bowyer hooked me up to the opening. He works in that school district and has been encouraging me to apply because he sees it as a good way to get in the proverbial door. He's pretty sure there'll be openings in the high school this coming year, and both of us would love nothing better than to work in the same building.

As always, Dear Readers, I will keep you constantly posted on the outcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

That sounds like a really sweet position and a truly logical and impressive way to handle the issue. I've got to say I didn't think any American school system had it in them.

September 09, 2006 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home