Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Curiouser and Curiouser


The Universe with a sledgehammer.

I've been calling the charter school every couple of days for about a week now, and leaving messages letting them know that I'm still here and still waiting to arrange an interview time. It seems that they've moved their offices and are in a state of, well, disarray and confusion at the moment, and I'm not entirely certain that anyone's even receiving my messages. Anyway, let's just say that I'm in a bit of limbo where this particular job opportunity is concerned.

Anyway, I stopped by the auto body shop this afternoon to check on the status of my Hockey Puck, which was involved in an accident a week ago (the car was in the accident - *I* wasn't, and neither was any other human being). I wander into the office to find Ed eating his lunch. He comes out ("no, don't let me disturb you," I say, "I can call later." "No, that's okay," he tells me, "I'm trying to choke down some gawd-awful KFC sandwich. I'd do well to take a break.") and we proceed to discuss my car and how happy his is with the wiz-kid of a dent repairer that he's imported from Texas to handle the repair of a flood of cars that were damaged in a pretty severe hail storm a couple of weeks ago**. After explaining that he's waiting on a couple of parts to be delivered so he has "something to measure against" when he gets the Puck on the frame machine, I say goodbye and head for the rental.

As I'm backing out of my spot, Ed comes out of the back of the garage and motions for me to roll my window down. He then proceeds to offer me a job working in the office with Cathy. "I know you've got kids," he says, "so we can be completely flexible. Come in when you can, leave when you have to. I just want someone in there to help her - she's so flooded now that I'm afraid she's going to leave, and I can't have her leave."

I'm intrigued. I can see myself working in this place; I really like Cathy - and have for years, ever since I met her after the Jetta was rear-ended in 2000 - and Ed is so easy-going and calm that I can imagine, even under the worst of conditions, he'd be a decent and fair boss. The flexibility of the job really appeals to me, the location is easy, and I already know I like my would-be coworkers. Since I don't have any promising ENGLISH teaching jobs on the horizon, I'm seriously considering taking Ed up on his offer. I'll call him tomorrow to talk about the specifics, to let him know that I'm still in the market for a teaching job and would likely leave him if offered one, and to make sure that he's serious about the flexibility - I need to not get any crap for staying home with the occasional sick child. If it all works out, though, I may be employed by the end of next week.

**Link courtesy of Kizz over at 117Hudson. Thanks, Honey!

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I can understand believing that the Universe is sending you a message, but here's my take on this. If you want to TEACH, then you should be TEACHING. Sign up as a substitute teacher to several schools, and get some great experience along the way. You said that in a couple of cases, teaching jobs went to people who have been subs in the district. If that's one way to get a job, then go for it.

I'm sure you would enjoy working at the mechanic's place. They sound like good people, and it would be an easy thing for you to get into. Perhaps too easy? Too tempting?

Girl, if you are serious about teaching, get out there and TEACH! And maybe this is just the Universe's way of testing your commitment....

August 10, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Bodog said...

I got my current teaching job by being a sub and willing to step in as a long term sub and teach anywhere. I never thought I'd love working at an alternative school, but it's probably best the way it worked out. They needed someone to take the place of a teacher who had a nervous breakdown. They kept me.

As Suzanne said, it's an option.

August 10, 2006 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home