Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Just Don't Get It.....


My public speaking class seems to be falling apart at the seams.

Yesterday’s class was a bit of a challenge. Of the thirteen students still taking the class, only eight showed up. Of those eight, only four were prepared to give the speech that was due for that class. One student got an extension because she, quite literally, had no voice. The rest of the unprepared students received zeros for the day. One young man had the nerve to kick up a fuss about this, but I directed him to the part in the syllabus that says “work is expected on the day it is due. Late work will not be accepted,” and he rather sheepishly backed down.

I find it interesting that, even as adults, students continue to push their instructors in these kinds of ways.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see several of my peers do it every day, and its really bothersome. I just don't understand how they can blatantly disregard the guidelines set up for them and expect to get away with it. So I see your frustration, and I bet you you've got at least one student in your class who thinks those lazy students are just as much a waste as I do of the ones nere.

November 21, 2006 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't understand how people - children and adults - expect to be given something for nothing... I've never had that luxury in my life, and I'd like to know where these people live that they do.

November 21, 2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

I found a $5 bill on the sidewalk last week so I guess sometimes I DO get something for nothing. Not often, though. I'm not really so surprised to see students trying to bully or bluster their way out of obligations. I work with adults and I see it all the time. I like it when there's a clear way to say, "See? You're out of line." Yay for specific syllabi!

November 21, 2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger organic mama said...

I have fallen for the sob story one too many times and this is a lovely example of things done the right way. Accountability is a vital part of what we are there to teach them in the first place.

November 21, 2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Amen Organic Mama! Preach it sister.

Sometimes I wonder if all this, "There are no losers. Everyone is equal" crappola that I was schooled with is coming back to bite society on the @$$!

Congratulations! You've created a generation that expects no consequences for bad behavior because ALL CHOICES ARE RIGHT JUST SOME ARE NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS!

I see students flip out ALL THE TIME over syllabus misunderstandings. 99% of the time it's because they haven't read it.

And if I have to hear, "Do you know who my father/mother/grandfather/aunt/uncle is?" as an threat to the teacher for not budging on class policy ONE MORE TIME...I can't be held responsible for my actions.

Besides...it's my choice to kill that spoiled brat student, it just may not be the BEST choice!;-)

November 21, 2006 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home