Monday, November 20, 2006

My! How Time Flies!!

I'm sitting here, organizing things for my public speaking class this morning, when I realized that, essentially, I have no classes left to teach.



Lemme 'splain. No, there is too much - lemme sum up (sorry - couldn't resist):



The course runs until December 11th (which is, coincidentally, Organic Mama's birthday). Anyway, there are four Mondays (including today) between now and December 11th. Today's class is scheduled to be a speech class - the students are supposed to have written a speech that includes the use of visual aids - so there will be precious little teaching on my part. Next Monday, th 27th, will either be a continuation of today's class, depending on how long today's speeches go, or the students will be delivering pursuasive speeches. On the 4th, I've got another guest speaker coming to class - I told you about her here - and I can't wait to see how the students react to her enormous personality. That brings us up to the 11th, which will be final exam / practical day, where I'm hoping to recruit a bunch of my friends and cohorts to act as an audience while the students deliver a short speech. They've gotten pretty comfortable talking in front of their classmates - I want to shake things up a bit and see how well they do in front of unfamiliar faces.

That's it! That's all we've got. No more lecture days, no time, really, to cover any new material.

Wowie!

I can't believe it. I feel like I still have so much to cover, though I recognize that I ALWAYS feel like that at the end of a class. I'm satisfied with the job I've done, though - we've kept up with the syllabus, the kids have gotten some good experience speaking in front of a group, they will have had some great guest speakers come to their class, and they have - at least, judging by their mid-term exam grades - a good grasp of the essential concepts of the class.

It's been a blast, and I'm hoping to get tapped to do it again next term.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you quoted my favorite character in one of my favorite movies! Love it!

My husband thinks I'm a total goof because I often look at him and say, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You keel my father; prepare to die." Okay, so I guess the hubby is probably right.

November 20, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

MRS. CHILI!!!!
You totally don't want to admit that you "hope to get tapped" to the whole world wide web!

NOT GOOD!!! It's a sexual reference. It means that you're hoping to get laid...hardcore...dirty like.


I'm just watchin' for my sis. I got cher back, gurl. ;-)


(Maybe I should be doing a weekly Pop Culture Vocab entry???)

Cassie

PS: This is also a generational thing, but you also don't want to "hook up" with anyone either. I know it used to mean 'a casual get together'. No more! It means one night stand...essentially.

November 20, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, dear GOD! Really?! How do I not know this?

Okay, how about I'm hoping to get ASKED to come back and teach next term? Yikes!

Thanks for the information. I'll watch my vocabulary in front of the class, THAT'S for sure!

(though, truth be told, I wouldn't mind my husband doin' a little tappin'....)

November 20, 2006 7:29 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Hahaha! Yeah, and probably every OTHER woman that's been married longer than 72 hours.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

November 20, 2006 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used that inigo montoya line once during a D&D game with Bowyer. Had him in stitches.

funny, i thought it was the husbands who complained about not getting tapped enough. Did i marry the wrong girl?

:)

November 20, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Hello! I just found you while searching for teaching blogs. I'm definitely coming back to read more when I get a chance (right now I have to get off the internet and study for my own classes!) Hope you don't mind that I added you to my blogroll.

November 21, 2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Hi, Kate!

Welcome! Do I mind that you added me to your blogroll? Are you KIDDING me? I'm THRILLED! Thank you!

(wanna teach ME how to create a blogroll?)

I just zipped over to your blog; wow! Living in Spain, huh? I'm going to love living vicariously through you; except for one Bermuda vacation, I've never even been out of the US!

Warmly,

Mrs. Chili

November 21, 2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Hmm, I am so the wrong person to ask about creating a blogroll-- I did mine at Blogrolling.com but had to get someone to paste the code into my template for me. But if you have the Beta version of Blogger it's really easy-- on the part that is for layout (my desktop version is in Spanish so I don't know what it's called in English) just click on "Add Page Element" and "Add links".

November 22, 2006 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs Chili,

I'm glad that you are teaching your class the art of public speaking. It is an essential tool these days.

I too teach public speaking, and wanted to share some of my resources with you. You can get them on my website www.executivespeaking.com.au They are under the link down the left under "links and articles". These are articles that I have had published and are used in the business community.

I hope they are of assistance.

Cheers

darren Fleming

January 02, 2007 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home