Thursday, September 21, 2006

The New Kid Gets the Short Stick...


Joe called me this morning. "I have good news and bad news," he told me. ("oh, GOD," I thought, "here it comes...")

The bad news, he said, is that there was a mistake with the course enrollment numbers and the college has combined a couple of sections of Foundational English. The combination means that one of the sections had to be dropped and, since I'm the newest kid on the block, mine was the section that got dropped. The good news, he bubbled, is that I'll be able to focus more attention on my other two courses. I was okay with it, really - I wasn't overly invested in the Foundations class; while I was more than happy to get it, I wasn't crushed to lose it.

About half an hour later, my phone rings again. I said "hello" and the voice on the other end said, without greeting, "You should know that you work for an idiot." It was Joe, calling back to tell me that he'd made a mistake - that it WASN'T the Foundations course that was being combined out of my schedule, it was the Composition course.

I find I'm a little more disappointed about losing the Comp class...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord girl!!!! What could you have possibly done that all this back-and forth stuff is part of your current Karma!?! Also,good thoughts to you on your exercising. You'll be a lean,mean teaching machine!!!!

September 21, 2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

You know what, Claudia? I'm not sure. I suspect that, in a previous life, I was wildly uptight and resistent to change - Lord knows I came from a family of stoics who WON'T change, even if the Heavens open up and angels direct the process. I'm betting that the Universe is testing me to see if I've learned that lesson. I make a lot of noise about being "bendy-twisty flexible;" this may be the Cosmos saying "Yeah? Let's see for sure..."

Of course, it's not entirely for me to say, but I think I'm passing the test.

September 22, 2006 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home