Monday, September 25, 2006

Let's Begin With a Challenge, Shall We?

I arrived for my first class, complete with appropriate teacher-clothes, my computer, a syllabus, the textbook and a lesson plan covering sentence structure and nouns. Oh, and a box of Dunkin Donuts Munchkins because I want the kids to like me right off.

I arrived quite a bit early, mostly because I had some photocopying to do because I also came equipped with a bunch of grammar-related comics to lighten the mood. I wanted to have a quick chat with Joe to see if there was anything in particular he needed me to do today, and I found him in a high state of agitation.

It turns out that this class - the Foundational English course - is set up for students who earn a certain grade range in a placement test that all students take when they are admitted to the school. The test is administered in a number of different sessions, one of which was held in an all-day run on Saturday, and the results of the test tells students which sections of math or English they will be taking. It turns out, though, that a rather large number of students haven't taken the test yet - and didn't show up on Saturday. As a result, my roster shows the names of six students (one of whom didn't show up for the first class - I'm wondering what's up with THAT) and I'm writing this from the computer lab at TCC while I watch 12 other students take the placement test.

Oh, and to make this morning even MORE fun? There was a class being held in the room where MY class was supposed to happen. Not that it matters much, really, because my class isn't actually happening, but the fact that a professor from the culinary school just decided to plop his lecture into a room he wasn't assigned sent Joe precariously close to the proverbial edge, though it seemed like a non-issue to me, given that my class wasn't going off anyway.

All this means is that I now have FIVE weeks to cover the structure of the English language with my students instead of six. Woe befall ProfessorChef if he's in my room NEXT week, though. I've got work to do!

3 Comments:

Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

Mmmmmmm ... Dunkin Donuts ...

I'm sorry, what?

Oh! Well that just sucks about the loss of both your week and your classroom!

I'd've busted in on Chef, crashed about a bit, said, loudly: "OH, Jeez! SORRY! *crash* I thought this was MY room! Guess I'll have to talk to the PRINCIPLE! *tee*hee*PUSH!* Oh dear, was that your souffle?"

So ... what happened to the donuts?

September 25, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

It's teh principle of the thing for Joe. There's a lot of territorial stuff that goes on in schools like that. And better to get the culinary dude OUT now with much yelling before next week. Don't want even more time shaved off your allottment.

September 25, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

The donuts, Blue, were offered to the panicked test takers. The leftovers (I bought a box of fifty) were left at the main desk at the college, lest they end up on my butt.

I now have a roster of twenty kids, and a kindly worded warning from the registrar's office to expect a few more on Monday.

I love this job already!

September 26, 2006 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home