Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hope Springs Eternal


**

I'm applying to one more school.

There's a charter school in my town, and it seems they're looking for an sign language instructor. The ASL professor I work with at the university emailed me the other day to tell me that she'd heard of the position and has encouraged me to apply. While doing the prerequisite internet search on the place, though, I discovered that they're also fishing for an English teacher, so I've crafted my cover letter to ask that I be considered for both positions.

As always, I will keep you all posted as to the outcome!

**just as an aside: the common symbol for hope - crossed fingers - means the letter "R" in ASL...

5 Comments:

Blogger Bodog said...

Good luck Mrs. Chili...As the Pirates say, "RRRRRRRRRRRR"

GET IT? Crossed fingers, luck, ASL R!

Ok, I'm leaving...

July 27, 2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Very VERY interesting!

July 27, 2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Hahahaha, BoDog - good one!

As I said to Kizz in an IM this morning, this is another one I've tossed over the fence - now I get to wait to see if anything comes back to me.

I wonder how charter schools figure in the grand pay scale of things? Not that money matters a whole lot - I really just want to teach - but it'd be nice to start making some money to offset all that went out in the pursuit of the degree, ya know? I'm just sayin'...

July 27, 2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Wayfarer said...

Well, I can tell you that I took a pay cut of just shy of $15k to go to work for the charter school I teach at now. That does not include the difference in gas from a 4 mile commute to a 35 mile commute. That lost money has hurt us some in the short term, no doubt, but there have been two important payoffs. One--I am teaching in an innovative, nurturing environment that lets me teach to my passions. Two--I have seen what a quality alternative educational model is, and that will be invaluable as I work to develop my own over the next couple of years (are you listening for the gong?).

If you're offered the job, take it. Don't take it for the money. Take it for the experience.

July 27, 2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger MrsEvilGenius said...

OK, idiot me ... I didn't get the 'good luck' reference at all and was sitting here wondering "Why the letter 'R'?"

Dur. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Best of luck!!!!!!

-Blue

July 30, 2006 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home