Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cake and Pizza

In that order.

I went in to school today for my last "official" day there. It's a block day, so I got to see periods one, five and seven (we have three "off"). I've decided I'm going to go in on Monday to see periods two and four - one of the students from one of those classes popped her head into the office during third period and was complaining loudly that her class wouldn't get to say goodbye to me, so I'm coming back.

Anyway, the day started with cake and Pepsi in the AP class. It seems that May is a very heavy birthday month in that class, and CT had gone to our local warehouse store and purchased a rather large - and surprisingly yummy - cake for the occasion. We spent a very casual class discussing possible topics for the juniors to being thinking of as college essay fodder.

Fifth period has always been, um, challenging. It's a 400 level class - the "lowest" of the levels - and is populated with some really difficult students. They were all great today - of course, pizza and cake were involved. CT ordered three cheese pizzas (delivered right to the classroom - imagine!) and one of the students brought in a couple of cakes for everyone to share. They passed around a homemade card that everyone signed and gave it to me at the end of the period. Most of the kids wrote sweet things on it (My favorite is "Mrs. Chili - thank you for trying to put our class in order. You and CT are awesome. You make a great team. It was so nice having you with us") but a couple of the boys just wrote their names. It's lovely, and is going in my keepsake file - kind of like the framed dollar from a newly opened store.

One of the members of my interview panel caught me on my way down the hall at one point and asked me how much longer I'd be here. When I told him that I was officially done today, he told me that he was very sorry, that he'd really hoped to be working with me next year, and to not lose faith. He'd heard that my colloquium went well and that I'd impressed the principal and, don't forget, there will be several retirements next year. It was a wonderful, encouraging thing for him to do for me, and I was touched.

So, that was my day. I have a teeny tiny bit of work to do to complete my portfolio (I need to print out the table of contents sheet) and I have to gather up everything I need for my last seminar meeting tomorrow and, well, that's that.

I'm not sure it's sunk in yet...

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayfarer said...

I'm glad you intend to keep the site running. I'm very much looking forward to the continual exchange of ideas with you!

It's a good thing to keep the momentos your students give you. I have several such things from my almost 10 years as a professional teacher (I canNOT believe it's been that long!), and I value them incredibly.

Being behind you by a semester in the M.A. process, I have to say I'm a bit jealous of you. I'm incredibly excited for you, proud for you and anxious for you all at the same time, too. I expect I'm going to feel a curious sense of bittersweetness when I'm done (fingers crossed) in December. My time in grad school has been wonderful so far, and I'm going to be glad to have a regular normal bedtime, but I'll be sort of sad not to be engaged in that kind of idealistic, forward thinking as much when I'm done.

Which brings me back to why I'm glad you're keeping this blog up.

Congratulations again on being done!

May 10, 2006 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home