Thursday, May 04, 2006

Can You Hear That?!?

It's me, breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. I finished my colloquium this afternoon, and it went extremely well.

I had 11 people - two of whom I didn't know; interns from the middle of the state - and everyone was participatory and helpful. I started out by discussing what we were doing here this afternoon, ambled on a bit about my experiences in the classroom, then went on with the show. We had some great conversations, no one asked me any questions I couldn't answer, and I managed to get through all of my material (YAY!! I really wanted to get through all my material, I had some good stuff). From what I could tell, everyone left happy.

The principal of my internship school came, too. I'd invited a bunch of people from the school, but he was the only one to show up. He approached me at the beginning and explained that he'd not be able to stay, would I mind if he left in the middle? I told him that'd be fine. My CT told me that, ten minutes into my presentation, he turned to her, nudged her with is elbow and whispered "I'm NOT leaving!" I think that, more than anything else, leads me to think that the afternoon was successful.

I think, were I to do it again, I'd include some lighter fare for the film samples. After Glory, the group was pretty much burned out on the tough topics. Bowyer suggested something from a romantic comedy - I might have to think about that. It's easy to get caught up in all the heavy drama. Of course, I showed Young Frankenstein to my AP kids - that counts, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Wayfarer said...

[[ applause and cheering from my corner!! ]]

May 04, 2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger vanx said...

So...? Why am I not surprised?
I'm not leaving either. Congratulations!

May 04, 2006 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's some validation right there!

Congratulations, though I'm not surprised.

May 04, 2006 10:47 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

Emma or Clueless are really good Jane Austen movies/adaptations and do good stuff about societal pressure. The Matrix isn't lighter but it's actiony.

It's a fun topic, fun to continue to explore.

Congratulations!

May 05, 2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Alexis said...

I enjoyed reading your ppost

June 10, 2022 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home