Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Universe Saying "Hey!"


So, here's what happened to me last night; I thought you might be interested to hear the story.

I was invited to PTrinity's Passover Seder yesterday evening. When I arrived, her husband had a story he had to tell me, and he had to tell me right away.

He was in a local hardware store yesterday afternoon, getting something hardware-ish, when he noticed a patient of his in an aisle (he's a doctor). He went to talk to this person, who asked him how things were going, how practice was, how his wife was doing in her internship, yadda yadda.

In the course of their conversation, Doc mentioned that PTrinity was almost ready to start distributing her resume around when, completely unbidden, a random customer, who happened to overhear the conversation, piped up and said "whatever you do, DON'T let her teach in XYZ school!!" (this is the school I'd just applied to) Shocked, Doc asked the man what that was all about.

It seemed this man had been a teacher in XYZ - shop or building trades or something - who hurt himself, took some time off, came back with limitations, and was subsequently asked to resign - after a very long career. "They EAT their young there," this man said. "They'll keep new teachers for two years and then dump them before they can get tenure." He said he'd seen it again and again - and mentioned the English department in particular - and I remember hearing teachers there saying that several new teachers weren't offered contracts recently, which lends credibility to this stranger's story.

It's both remarkable and typical that something like this should happen to me. That Doc had a complete stranger interrupt his conversation with a patient whom he happened to meet in a store and tell about his experience at XYZ school on the very day that I was rejected for a job, and that I would see Doc that night (I hadn't seen Doc in almost four months) seems coincidental, but it's really not. Stuff like this happens to me all the time, and I'm thrilled when I'm mindful enough to notice it.

I'm taking this as further confirmation that things are happening the way they should. I'm trying to release my indignation and anger and frustration (and disappointment) over the whole thing and allow my faith in the Universe to take the wheel; I'm doing a pretty good job of it, I think. Still, it's going to feel different coming into work on Monday, regardless of how much equilibrium I can find over the weekend.

(the image, in case it's too small to see, is Calvin sitting behind a "swift kick in the butt" stand. I thought it was apropos)

2 Comments:

Blogger vanx said...

Life is great when it reads like a first novel! I knew there would be a ray of sunshine when I saw that punk Calvin sitting behind a box.

April 15, 2006 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY EASTER! EVERYONE!

April 16, 2006 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home