Friday, February 10, 2006

I LOVE My Life!

So, here's the scene. I'm in the living room with school papers strewn all around me on the couch while I attempt to corral them into some sort of coherent order. PunkinPie, my eldest daughter (who's eight, it's important to remember) comes over and picks up a random sheet, which happens to have the "to be or not to be" soliloquy printed on it. She reads (aloud) to about "slings and arrows" when she abruptly drops the page and runs to her room.

Not that this is exceptionally odd behavior for her, but still.

Anyway, she returns about two minutes later with the Calvin and Hobbes There's Treasure Everywhere book. She flips furiously through the pages until she finds what she's looking for; a Sunday comic that depicts a pile of green nastiness that's supposed to be Calvin's dinner which suddenly bursts into the famous monologue. Calvin watches the scene with such expressions on his face! Finally, though, the goo breaks into the chorus of "Feelings" and, well, that's just too much for poor Calvin. The final frame is his mother removing the now empty plate and Calvin begging not to have that dinner again.

Can I reemphasize that the kid is EIGHT?!

I am going to see if there's a way for my husband to record the kid reading the comic so I can bring it into my freshman English class so they can see that this stuff really DOES connect to stuff outside of school. And to see that an eight year old has the capacity to at least hold the recognition of the Bard's work in her head.

And so can they.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home